bergman on 27 Jun 2015 12:50:59 -0700

[PLUG] USB-attached, hardware-encrypted card reader ... why vaporware?

I've got lots of SD cards floating aroung. They're convenient, portable,
cheap, and now have a useful capacity. However, they've got no intrinsic
security.  Filesystem encryption through software isn't portable across
operating systems, and often requires privileges to install the required
software.

I'd like a USB-attached SD card reader that does hardware encryption.

Yes, there are hardware-encrypted, USB-attached flash drives[1], but
they are quite expensive and have fixed-capacity.

There's been a failed crowd-funded attempt at creating this
device[2].

There's a company the purports to make exactly what I'm seeking[3], but
the product doesn't seem to be available for retail sale if exists at all
(no response from the company, no resellers, no recent updates, etc).

Does anyone know of a source for this kind of device, or have
speculation as to why it doesn't exist?

Thanks,

Mark

[1] http://www.apricorn.com/products/hardware-encrypted-drives/aegis-secure-key-3-0.html