Steve Litt on 22 Dec 2015 12:21:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Windows 10/UEFI/SecureBoot

> > On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Chris Norton
> > <chris@nortoninc.info> wrote:
> >
> >> Talking with someone today, he mentioned that a laptop he had with
> >> Win 10 prevented his computer from booting from a flash drive to
> >> dual boot.
> >>
> >> When I questioned him about it, he said that SecureBoot toggle is
> >> disabled when WIn 10 is installed. I personally am not willing to
> >> "upgrade" to Win 10 to test this out, but I'd love to have some
> >> proof that this guy is wrong.

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) <plug@frags.us>
> wrote:
>
> > Windows 10 install does not enable nor disable Secure Boot. That's
> > not something an OS can change for you, it requires user
> > interaction, by design.

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:46:57 -0500
Chris Norton <chris@nortoninc.info> wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Of course it doesn't. I'm wondering if this particular person just
> doesn't know how to disable SecureBoot.
>
> I might just send him the directions you sent for dual boot and see
> what he says.

Windows 8 certification required secure boot, but it required a secure
boot that could be disabled. Windows 10 certification requires secure
boot, and is mute on whether or not it should be disableable. So when
you see a computer saying "Windows 10 authorized" or whatever, there's
no guarantee that you can disable the secure boot.

For those of us who use lesser known distros, this is a big problem.

SteveT