ac on 21 Oct 2016 09:04:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:44:29 -0400
Rich Kulawiec <rsk@gsp.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 01:25:58PM +0200, ac wrote:
> > you have 'some' experience in being aggressively vocally anti spam,
> > there is a big difference in having an opinion and actually having
> > to deal with end users/clients.
> Ummm, no.  I've designed/built/run mail systems for half a dozen
> Fortune 500 companies, several major universities, a couple of ISPs.
> So: been there, done that.  (Doing it now, as a matter of fact.)
> I've also been researching the spam problem for decades -- well before
> we even coined the slang term "spam".  And I'm writing a book on
> mail system defense -- with open source software, of course. ;)
> You're going to have to look pretty hard to find someone with more
> experience in the field.

yeah, I have come across some fairly crappy email servers over the 25
years that I have been doing the same thing. from us gov to fortune
500 to so many universities. Guess they did not have your expertise.

congratulations on your book on mail systems defense, i truly hope you
are not also suggesting, in a book, that people should block entire
tld, like .me (for example about.me and so many SF startups use .me)
like you have advocated here (and are doing yourself)

then again, you may do and suggest as you like and write a book saying
that you are great and therefore you are correct, this is perfectly
fine and blocking entire countries, but not the tld that sends the most
spam (.com) makes a lot of sense.

Andre