K.S. Bhaskar on 3 Jul 2017 11:40:15 -0700

[PLUG] Firewall choices for a small software development business

A couple of weeks hence, our new software startup YottaDB LLC (yottadb.com) will move into new space in Malvern, and I need to set up Internet access. Both Comcast and Verizon are available on the building, and I haven't chosen one.

This e-mail is to solicit opinions about a firewall. I don't know what sort of firewall they provide by default with business Internet service (perhaps none?) but I suspect I will need to set up our own firewall as well. We are starting out with three developers, and will scale up over a year to perhaps a half dozen and at most a dozen. I don't anticipate hosting our web site locally, but I will need inbound access, for which I am currently thinking of ssh with port knocking, rather than VPN.

It seems to me there are three choices:

Comments, suggestions, and recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance.

Regards
-- Bhaskar