Greg Helledy on 19 Sep 2017 14:22:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 154, Issue 34

On 9/19/2017 4:05 PM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
rather than tell you what*i*  use, i'ma ask some questions here to find
out what's best for*you*.

do you plan on implementing separate networks?

I don't plan to now, but would like to be able to in the future (thus a model with 4 LAN ports instead of 2).

do you like to dig deep into the internals and making them perform
*exactly*  how you like even if it takes a lot of time, or are you more
interested in getting a configuration set up that "mostly works" like
you want it to as long as it's a quick setup?

(similarly, do you prefer to grok what you set up or do you prefer
turnkey applications?)
do you need/want a graphical (web) interface? if not, do you prefer
something more "*nix-y" (managing services directly) or more
"appliance-y" (abstraction layer/CLI specifically designed for the role
is present)?

do you want to pay money for it?

All good questions. I intend for this device to be pretty much an appliance, shuffling bits back and forth for months on end without me logging in. Basically like my Tomato router, but with more powerful hardware and more expandability down the road, if I want to VPN into my home computers or have a second LAN to separate my PC from a Smart TV.

In that kind of use, I'll probably forget the details of how things work between logins and would benefit from a UI that guides me to a working solution quickly, even if it's not the most efficient possible. That said, it should have a terminal app for when the situation arises that the designers didn't have in mind and being able to edit a config is essential. It should have a web UI and OSS components are preferred over proprietary ones.

I don't think I need to pay money, I know I can use the community edition of ClearOS (once upon a time Clarkconnect) for free and I don't need handholding as long as the product is not still in a beta stage of maturity.

It didn't occur to me that there would be a Wikipedia page to answer this question, although it's still just a list, not representing the collective wisdom of this group as to which are better for my purpose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated