Steve Litt on 3 Aug 2018 11:09:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] People can't stop trashing systemd without reading the docs, you won't believe what happens next! (WAS: LINUX ADMIN ADVICE)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 16:53:16 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Reading the docs is exactly why I refuse to use systemd. Systemd
> > is so complex and entangled that still, after all these years,
> > nobody has been able to draw a block diagram of systemd, with both
> > boxes representing processes and lines representing interactions.
>
> The fact that something hasn't been done is hardly proof that nobody
> is able to do it.

Fine. You do it. Draw a complete block diagram of systemd. It's not
hard: I did the block diagram of daemontools, which is the majority of
runit and a good part of s6.

> More likely nobody cares enough to bother.

Certainly you do. You respond to every anti-systemd post, and even
started the current systemd discussion. Creating the block diagram with
both box/processes and line/interactions would be a huge propaganda win
for systemd, it would be a spectacular resource for everyone with
systemd questions, and if your diagramming systemd is anything like my
diagramming daemontools, it will make you a heck of a lot more
knowledgeable about the system you diagrammed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key