Keith C. Perry on 17 May 2019 11:50:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Fusion room or DMR Talkgroup

"I don't think you need to register a DMR ID to set up a BM talkgroup.
All the traffic just uses the individual operator IDs.  You would just
request a group ID from BM, and then you're in the directory and
anybody can talk on that group."

**need** perhaps not but its recommended and it makes sense (to me).  Its very quick to reg your hotspots on radioid.net once you have your DMRid.  There is no verification time from what I understand.

"I find Fusion a pain to deal with, because I can't monitor more than
one TG at a time, and switching TGs requires going into the innards of
my hotspot config to switch settings.  It just isn't as native to DMR
which makes it less convenient, which is saying something considering
how inconvenient DMR is to begin with.  Plus I'm not sure how the
hotspot will handle it if Fusion and DMR are both active at the same
time and which takes priority - with DMR I believe it will give
priority to whatever group you were last transmitting on."

Fair enough that bothers me a bit too.  Perhaps my rig works a bit differently but I have Fusion, DMR and DStar all turned on.  Pi-Star just switches between them based on the hang timer timeouts.  If I'm listing on DMR once the time expires the it will switch to the next mode that has traffic.

The one thing that might be different for me is that from my mic I can manually switch to another mode and once the rig is idle I can call.  If I'm just listening it doesn't matter.

Are you able to switch modes from your radio?  Also are you running pi-star, openspot or something else?

Also, how are you monitoring more than one talkground on DMR now?

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167