Rich Freeman via plug on 13 Jan 2021 09:38:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I need help with configuring Raid on Ubuntu server 20.04

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM H Mottaleb <h_mottaleb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Here you go....I setup Raid 0 in the bios as I couldn’t find the IT mode.

You definitely don't want to do that.  If you want to use hardware
RAID then set up something safe like RAID5/6.  If you want to use
software raid then each of those drives ends up needing to be a
separate RAID, so you might want 6 different RAID0 "arrays" of one
disk each.

IT mode might require reflashing the card, and not all cards even support it.

> The screen-shots of the bios settings and the df/lvs/pvs/vgs/blkid output.

Your screenshots are really low-res which makes them hard to read.
But I can make out enough to tell what is going on.

You're going to want to redo that RAID, which might require a
reinstall.  However, for reference, Ubuntu is seeing all 6TB of space,
and it is creating the partitions that you see in df.

From the install screenshot you can see on the bottom line that it is
setting up one more giant 5TB unformatted logical volume.  So all you
need to do is format and mount it somewhere.

I could give you exact command line instructions to do that, but I
can't actually read the text well enough to ensure that I'm giving you
the right device names (and I'm not familiar with what ubuntu default
lv names are).

You might not actually want all 5TB in one giant logical volume.  If
so it is easy to delete and re-create a smaller volume and still have
space free for future use.  You can also resize volumes later if their
filesystems support it (like ext4 does), but that is more of a pain,
at least for shrinking.

For now I suggest reconfiguring as RAID5/6 if you want to use hardware
RAID.  If you want to use software RAID I'll defer to somebody who
knows what the best way to set this up on Ubuntu is so that it isn't
tripping over itself.  It is easy enough to do from the command line
but if you don't do it the "Ubuntu way" you might end up fighting the
thing every time you install a new kernel or whatever.

After you get your RAID set up send some higher-res photos of the
lvs/vgs/df output and we'll get your mounts set up.\

--
Rich