Rich Freeman via plug on 8 Apr 2021 18:26:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] that's nice

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:05 PM Fred Stluka via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> But the policy that specifies the access control per key/folder
> of the registry is itself stored in the registry.  Right?  Doh!

Sure, in the same way that a linux inode stores the owner/permissions
attributes that indicate who is allowed to modify the inode.

If the registry key says you're not allowed to modify the registry
key, well, you can't modify the registry key, just as a non-root user
can't run chown on a file they don't own, even though chown modifies
the very record that contains the owner.  I believe the registry files
themselves are not editable by ordinary users (especially since
they're going to be locked and in-use anytime the user is logged in).
Fiddling with them from a rescue disk is of course possible, if the
company isn't using full disk encryption.

Sure, not all Windows sysadmins know how to actually admin Windows,
but then again I'm sure there are plenty of Linux sysadmins out there
who don't know what they're doing.  If you deploy Linux desktops with
the user having UID 0 then the user is obviously going to be able to
fiddle with things.  That is pretty analogous to giving users admin
rights on Windows...

Even in a less-secure configuration, the policy is going to get
reapplied every time you log in, so you're still going to have to load
that registry key every time you log in.

--
Rich