Rich Freeman via plug on 25 Oct 2021 09:35:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendation for a hosted server service

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:03 AM Steven Grunza via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for hosting services that are low cost?  I'm only working on Proof-of-Concept stuff so the overall data amounts and number of devices is rather low.

So, the other responses covered most of it already, but I wanted to
offer some alternative suggestions:

AWS tends to be expensive, but there are a few places where it shines.
If you want a traditional host running 24x7 the other suggestions are
going to be much cheaper.

A big selling point for AWS is the scalability.  If you want 1 host
today, and 40,000 hosts tomorrow, and back to 1 host the day after
that, AWS can do that with a few clicks, assuming your application can
make use of this.

For you I'd consider two possible ways of using AWS.  You mention POC,
and this is an area AWS is good at since it is a pay-as-you-go thing.
You can spin something up for an hour and then shut it down and pay
for an hour of use (pennies).  You can do this as much as you want
without penalty, or with as many images as you want.

The other area I'd consider is if they sell a way of hosting your
service other than just as a VM.  They have a TON of individually sold
services that are basically charged by the transaciton.  If you want
to relay outgoing mail, they charge you by the thousand emails or
whatever, and you don't need to have a server sitting around.  If you
want to serve webpages there are a bunch of ways to do that with AWS
that scale infinitely and you just pay by the hit/byte.  There are
things like lambdas, various forms of storage/database, and so on.
Many of these can scale up/down seamlessly and you pay for what you
use.  So, if you want to stitch together your service using these
tools, the cost of doing so could be a lot lower than paying to have a
VM running 24x7 unless your transaction volume is very high, and even
then the scalability might still be worth it.  Plus for the most part
there is nothing to maintain but your own code.

I'm guessing something like Linode/etc is going to make more sense,
and I have no idea what your application is, but these are just some
things to consider.  There is a reason that AWS is a very popular
option despite the cost (or rather, there is a reason they can charge
so much).

--
Rich