JP Vossen via plug on 27 Sep 2022 20:04:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firefox 105 is unusable for me

On 9/27/22 09:12, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 10:47:27PM -0400, JP Vossen via plug wrote:
Like the subject says Firefox 105 is unusable for me because it pegs my CPU all the time.  It's supposed to be better, but is MUCH worse and has made my work VM effectively useless.  Note I always have a huge number of tabs open, and that has been working great up until 105.

This page looks promising:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-firefox

Indeed.  That means going outside the package system, which always ends in tears.  That's one reason to use Arch (but I don't), or the Snap.  I thought about the Snap, and might still mess with it, but that seems like it might be even worse, and I'm not sure what effect it might have on my profile (and gazillion tabs).

I did end up trying `firefox-104.0.2.tar.bz2`; extracted into '/opt/firefox/` and my FF profile backed up.  It was an utter fail, probably _because_ of my profile.  I got a variety of errors and a profile dialog restart loop.  I left it, and if I get around to it might experiment more.

I've since rebooted (uptime was 370+ days), upgraded from Mint-20.2 to 20.3, installed the latest kernel and all of that.  It's now...better, but still seems sluggish and high CPU use.  I really wish I could do an apples-to-apples Mint build of FF 105 to 104, but since I can't find the *.deb and since I've now changed so many things...  Oh well.  Rest assured I'll be capturing the Mint FF *.debs from now on.

Thanks for the replies.

Later,
JP