Syeed Ali via plug on 6 Oct 2022 13:29:22 -0700

[PLUG] The content you thought you made is not yours - (was: You thought you bought software – all you bought was a lie)

Alongside the problem of revoke-able licenses is the increased reliance
on users being tethered across the internet to a relationship with the
author of their software.  This combined with proprietary or remote-only
formats locks down the user's data.

The company, your internet provider, government, someone else's
government, social credit score.. whatever, could take your work away.
I know someone who has been locked out of an account because he changed
phone numbers and so two factor authentication won't work.. whoops.

For example, Microsoft just updated Windows 11 with the inclusion of
Clipchamp for video editing:

https://clipchamp.com/en/video-editor/

It requires internet access and a login.

> https://help.clipchamp.com/en/articles/1505553-what-products-does-clipchamp-offer
>
> Our products don't require software installation – to use them, simply
>
> go to our video editor in your web browser (Microsoft Edge or Google
> Chrome)
>
> sign in using Microsoft, Facebook, Google, or an email address to
> create a free account

I heard that Adobe has also been migrating their software online.

This is why I use DaVinci Resolve.  I can either get the whole
(proprietary) thing for free on Linux, or I can purchase a dongle for
explicit offline installation of the paid version.

Mind you I still don't like the idea of physical devices since those
decay.