Walt Mankowski via plug on 22 Nov 2022 18:15:10 -0800

[PLUG] Switching VM drive from SATA to virtio

Hi all,

I've got a Win10 VM running under virt-manager/qemu on Ubuntu 22.10. I
set it up during lockdown, and it's become my go-to way to access the
work VPN when I'm working from home.

It works about as well as a Win10 box can, with one exception -- it's
very slow, especially when doing disk IO. This wasn't a huge problem
when I was running it every day, but now that I'm only firing it up
occasionally, there's a system update nearly every time, and they can
take hours to install. It's gotten to the point where if I know I need
to work from home, I'll start it up the prior evening so that it will
be usable in the morning.

I've got the VM booting off a 250 GB partition. (This is part of what
I'm using my 3 TB RAID1 array for from my previous questions.) After
doing some google searches, I think maybe a big reason for the
slowness is that the drive is set as SATA, but performance would be a
lot better if it were virtio.

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch the drive from SATA to
virtio without having to rebuild everything? I've found some links
that suggest it is, but if so, the process seems fairly complicated.
If anyone could point me towards some instructions that they trust,
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Walt