Soren Harward via plug on 2 Jan 2023 09:44:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Monitor Troubles Waking from Sleep

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 10:04 AM Casey Bralla via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> Anybody have an idea where I can look to troubleshoot this?

Also a Gentoo user, with monitors with buggy Displayport hot plug
detect that causes problems with X11. A very similar problem caused me
to give up on KDE5+plasma+kwin. My screens would turn off, X would
think that no monitors were connected, and kwin would regularly crash
because it tried to render something on an allegedly nonexistent
monitor. Monitor troubles were the main (but not only) reason I gave
up on plasma+kwin and switched to LXQt+icewm.

The problem is almost certainly in xfce4-display-settings. Before,
that program didn't know/care that the monitor reported itself as
disconnected. Now it does. The 4.18 changelog says that
"xfce4-display-settings got some minor improvements and the
possibility to decide what to do when new displays are connected" and
that just screams "possibility for regressions with monitors that
don't correctly report their (dis)connected status".

So you could do a similar thing to what I did for my kwin troubles:
identify the most recent release that works properly. I see
gentoo-stable is still at 4.16, so I'd start there. If I had a lot of
time and were really determined, I'd do git --bisect to see if I could
identify the exact commit. Anyway, once you've identified a version
that works and a version that doesn't, file a bug report for
xfce4-display-settings. Attach "xrandr --query --verbose" output for
while the monitors are on and in use, and while the monitors are in
sleep mode (ssh into your machine, set DISPLAY to :0.0 and then run
the command).

Good luck!

And if you think the problem is annoying on Linux, the saga of
"Microsoft, (AMD || nVidia) and VESA all blaming someone else for
buggy DP support" has been going on ever since Win10 came out.

--
Soren Harward