Steven Ng via plug on 12 Jun 2023 09:27:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [External] Re: How to Eliminate a CR-LF-Space 3-Character Sequence from a Text File?

Is the dos2unix command available?  I don’t know if it would deal with the space part of the sequence, but I use it to remove cr-lf from generated files I have to deal with.

Steven

From: plug <plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org> on behalf of Casey Bralla via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Date: Monday, June 12, 2023 at 9:23 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [External] Re: [PLUG] How to Eliminate a CR-LF-Space 3-Character Sequence from a Text File?

That did it!  Thank you Aaron & Walt!

I've always been intimidated by perl, but your code worked perfectly, Walt.

Aaron, I had not noticed the "-z" option for sed.  Thank you!

On 6/12/2023 9:32 AM, Walt Mankowski via plug wrote:

You can also do this in Perl of course. It's unclear to me whether Casey wants to completely remove the CR-LF-Space sequence or replace it with just a LF. To remove it, use

perl -0777 -pe 's/\r\n //g'

To replace it with a line feed, use

perl -0777 -pe 's/\r\n /\n/g'

The -pe flags together tell Perl to read in every line of stdin and apply a regular _expression_ to them. The -0777 flag tells it to slurp in the entire stream as a single line. The regex replaces the CR-LR-Space sequence globally with either nothing or a newline.

Walt

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internationale)  We sincerely hope