Michael Lazin via plug on 25 Jun 2023 17:33:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] makeshift forensic copy with scp

I think I answered this myself, I found my scp was hanging in the proc filesystem because of the symlinks, I may have to figure out how to copy this without /proc another day.  Thanks all.

Michael Lazin

.. τὸ γὰρ αὐτὸ νοεῖν ἐστίν τε καὶ εἶναι.

I have a system that I found malware on and I want to examine it locally.  I connected to it with ssh as root, I know this is a risky setup but it is only internally facing, which is why I have great curiosity.  I am using scp to copy the full filesystem over the network but I have a fear that symlinks such as those in /proc could make it run forever.  How does scp handle syminks?  Will it loop and never end or will my process finish?

Thank you,