Ron Mansolino via plug on 11 Jul 2023 06:36:19 -0700

[PLUG] how to divide up a filesystem?

I have a pile of cheap parts I intend to assemble into a general-purpose workstation; I have 3 sata ports available.

I want to put / on an SSD, and I'm looking for suggestions on how/where to mount the rest.
My instinct says to put /var on it's own port; and /usr is the largest subdir on my other machine.

I thought about putting /home on the third spindle so I can yank it later if need be, can this be NTFS?
What else should I put there? (eg. pub).

how much swap space is overkill? The mainboard only supports 8Gb; but I assume I'll have plenty of room on the SSD.
Is there any advantage to having additional swap partitions on other spindles?

thx