Will via plug on 31 Jul 2023 18:48:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Request for help, bricked my PC attempting to dual-boot

Is this an efi or bios install?

@Rich Mignon is the expert on here when I have boot problems.

-Will C

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023, 20:43 Douglas Lentz via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Recently got a new desktop PC. It came with Windows 11 preinstalled.
(Windows installation worked with no problems that I could see). There
are one or two applications I use that unfortunately, only run on
Windows. I attempted to set up dual booting, Ubuntu 22.04/Windows 11.

Partitioning and installation was unremarkable. First restart went OK
- grub gave me a "Select your OS" menu.

Updated Ubuntu. Ubuntu requested a restart to finish installation.

The box now restarts to a Grub 2.06 command prompt screen. You know the one:

GNU grub 2.06

Minimal BASH-like editing is supported...

grub>

However, I can't enter anything because the box no longer responds to
keyboard input. I've tried both a USB keyboard and one with the
old-fashioned DNI type, circular keyboard connector. No good.

Is there anything else I can do, or any way to proceed from here, or
is the only alternative to take it to a service place and have the
drive wiped?

Thanks in advance

Doug Lentz
dlentz@dca.net