Rich Freeman via plug on 16 Oct 2023 15:49:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Could you put that in an email?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 6:38 PM L K via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

>   I have a home arch linux server I use for various hobbiest services. I'd like to get notified via email if it goes down. I usually would run such things on my server but... well.. you see my dilemma :D. Can anyone recommend a service they have used for such? I'd prefer a pull-based one (like issuing a web request from the server) for security. I have a bad association with pagerduty :P.

So, if you're willing to pay there are many options for this.  If you
want it to be free then the options are pretty limited.

Grafana cloud has a free tier, and it can generate alerts if it loses
contact with an agent I believe.  The agent would be able to grab
prometheus metrics and logs and such.  The free tier of that will not
do things like http gets, but the paid version will.  It can
definitely send email.

I think I used to use Monitoris, but something tells me their free
tier is no longer a thing.

Obviously cloud-based monitoring has costs and limited monetization
options.  When it is free it is usually a loss leader to try to get
you to buy their paid tiers, which typically offer more granularity,
hosts, capabilities, etc.

Now, for self-hosted FOSS software there are a bunch of options, and
you could of course just host that in the cloud yourself (VPS, VM,
whatever), but that isn't going to be free either.

Right now I'm not using anything cloud-based. I am self-hosting
Grafana on k8s but if I lose internet/etc or k8s really gets messed up
I might not get an alert.  Sorry I can't be too much more helpful...

--
Rich