Steve Litt via plug on 17 Oct 2023 00:00:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Could you put that in an email?

L K via plug said on Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:38:40 -0400

>Hey Pluggers,
>  I have a home arch linux server I use for various hobbiest services.
> I'd
>like to get notified via email if it goes down. I usually would run
>such things on my server but... well.. you see my dilemma :D. Can
>anyone recommend a service they have used for such? I'd prefer a
>pull-based one (like issuing a web request from the server) for
>security. I have a bad association with pagerduty :P.
>
>Lou

Sounds like a job for a shellscript to me. The shellscript contains a
subroutine to test whether the remote server is doing its job, and
another subroutine to email error messages, so pseudocode looks like
this:

forever
   test remote server
   if problem
      email people
   sleep 1 minute

The shellscript could be launched as a daemon by systemd, sysvinit,
runit, s6 or OpenRC.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21