Frank via plug on 6 Jan 2024 19:08:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux install-a-thon?

I'm not sure how that would happen online.  I was really hoping that we could give away physical computers to people.  (I wasn't really talking about a traditional "Linux Installfest".)  I assume we'd promote it online, for sure.  But I was thinking it would be fun to rebuild a bunch of donated computers and hand them out to people who need them (who don't necessarily know or care what "Linux" is).

I'm just looking to see if there's any interest right now.  I'm thinking it would make sense to partner with another community outreach group in Philadelphia to help with the public coordination in terms of the donations and the giveaways.  The PLUG people can do the work of (re)assembling the computers, installing software, and getting them all ready to go back out the door.

I've been thinking about this project for a while, and the only problem that I can see with it is that a lot of people simply don't want computers any more, so I don't know what kind of demand there'd be (if any).

But, I think it'd be super cool if there was demand for repurposed computers.

- Frank