Doug Crompton on 15 Nov 2005 18:20:33 -0000

Re: Follow-up from tonight's meeting

I ran an AMPR (amateur packet radio) gateway here in Richboro for most of
the 90's. It ran primarily in DOS (yes DOS not windows). I recently bought
a copy of SUSE 10.0 with the intent of bringing up a Linux system just for
AMPR activities.

For those that are not familiar with what a AMPR GW is... The amateur
radio community has their own class A address space - 44.0.0.0 because the
definition of a class A is one entry point it is a little hard to connect
thousands of amateurs throughout the world with a class A network. So
instead using IPIP we connect the fragmented class A network via
individual GW's serving regional areas. Recently because of high speed
connections and the face that most have a full time internet connection
this has become non RF meaning that the GW only serves one user and has no
RF connections.

When I get mine back up I hope to have RF connections on both 2 meters and
440 Mhz. Hams who use the GW can receive mail directly using the AMPR
network. Their address would be their call@ampr.org

I would like to an amateur radio sub-group established in the BC/Montco.

There are many AMPR resources available on the web.

Doug

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Gary Coulbourne wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> > Sorry I could not make it. I had another local meeting. Are there any
> > amateur radio operators in the group? The use of Linux in amateur radio is
>
> I wasn't able to make it either... I've been doing work-related training
> and don't have free evenings until December at the earliest.  I'm an
> amateur radio operator (KB3INA), although I'm still quite the novice --
> just one Yeasu dual-bander that I use mostly for monitoring.  Still, I'm
> very interested in the topic of using Linux to further the hobby.
>
> Peace,
> Gary
>
>    *********    *****    **                  Gary Coulbourne
>   *************************.*                 Bear Activist