Gary Coulbourne on 17 Dec 2005 18:02:32 -0000

Re: Map of boot procedure

On Dec 17, 2005, at 11:52 AM, Doug Crompton wrote:

To make a long story short after trying to figure out why I ended up
adding the base sound card module load in /etc/sysconfig/kernel in which I
discovered has a place to load modules that were not hardware detected
properly.

It depends, really. I've never trusted automatic configuration, and usually just build the kernel with the devices I have built-in. However, each distribution has its own way of handling it. Most current distributions use hotplug/coldplug for autoloading, though -- where particular devices in the /dev directory can be associated with automatically loadable modules, and that sort of thing. I'm still not fully converted in my thinking from devfs, and so I don't remember all of the udev syntax, but I believe there's a way to set it up to use that.

I did a little looking around on what SUSE uses. /etc/sysconfig/ kernel is for those modules required for booting. Some people on the mailing lists recommended putting modprobe commands in /etc/ init.d/boot.local, appending them, like: echo "/usr/sbin/modprobe sndcardmodule" >> /etc/init.d/boot.local

I suspect hotplug is the "right" way to do it, but I'm not really up to speed on the configuration or if SUSE is using it. Here's a page on it: http://lwn.net/Articles/123932/

And Here's a page on SUSE's booting:
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux- adminguide_en/ch10.html

Peace,