Malcolm J Harwood on 17 Dec 2005 17:50:47 -0000

Re: Map of boot procedure

On Saturday 17 December 2005 10:46 am, Doug Crompton wrote:

> dmesg gives a good deal of info but it does not describe how it boot but
> rather what it boots and the messages those modules return. I meant a
> description or block diagram of what directories and files are being
> looked at and procedures are run to get the information to boot.

That would be nice. I've never heard of such a thing though.

> There is probably a good book on this I just have not come across it yet.
> When I started out with Slackware 10 years ago it was easier to
> understand. I least I thought it was. Maybe I am getting older!

No, it's definitely gotten a lot more complex in the last couple of years.
There seems to be a lot of things that are signal based using the hotplug
system and similar features. So modules might only get loaded when the kernel
indicates the hardware is there. I thought the "load this anyway" list
was /etc/modules (it still seems to be under Mandriva), but maybe that's a
RedHat-ism (Mandriva's a long way from RedHat these days but still shows it's
roots at times).

--
I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to
understand the fundamental workings of the universe via a language