Doug Crompton on 19 Dec 2005 16:39:51 -0000

Re: GCC Compilers

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:

> Yes. If I remember correctly, it compiles the bootstrap (which is a minimalist
> c compiler that only implements enough to compile the compiler) using your
> existing compiler, which is then uses to compile a full gcc, then it uses the
> full gcc to recompile itself (in order to make use of optimisations not in
> the bootstrap).

Malcolm,

 Your memory was correct. I downloaded the entire package - 3.4.5
(c,c++,g77,java etc.) about 30 megs. and built it. It took about 40
minutes. I suffixed the binaries with -3.4.5, installed to
/usr/local/gcc/gcc-3.4.5, put that in my path, exported CC=gcc-3.4.5 and I
was able to successfully compile mplayer and finally use it.

HDTV is an incredible user of system resources and I am still losing
frames but it is significantly better with mplayer. More tweaking to do.

I presume that all I have to do is do a  export CC=  to return to the
exclusive use of gcc4 when I am not needing gcc3.

Thanks for all your (and others) help.

Doug