Malcolm J Harwood on 18 Dec 2005 16:39:15 -0000

Re: GCC Compilers

On Sunday 18 December 2005 11:29 am, Doug Crompton wrote:

> > Yes. If I remember correctly, it compiles the bootstrap (which is a
> > minimalist c compiler that only implements enough to compile the
> > compiler) using your existing compiler, which is then uses to compile a
> > full gcc, then it uses the full gcc to recompile itself (in order to
> > make use of optimisations not in the bootstrap).

> The reason I question this is because of the following statement from the
> GCC site....
>
>   Important: because these are source releases, they will be of little use
>   to you if you do not already have a C compiler on your machine. If you
>   don't already have a compiler, you need pre-compiled binaries. Our
>   binaries page has references to pre-compiled binaries for various
>   platforms.

Right. You've got to have a C compiler to build the bootstrap. The bootstrap
source contains C with a very minimal features set though in order to be as
portable as possible. (So it'll build on old sun compilers, old gcc, intel's,
etc. I'm not sure quite how far back they support but it's quite a way).

> I guess I will just have to download it and find out. As I do have gcc4
> maybe that can ve used to compile the older gcc.

It shouldn't be a problem. I've build gcc2.98 with gcc3 before.

--
"You can tell when you're working with 'Enterprise Software Solutions' because
  the vendor freebies are red t-shirts."