Doug Crompton on 19 Dec 2005 18:55:12 -0000

Re: GCC Compilers

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:

> > I presume that all I have to do is do a  export CC=  to return to the
> > exclusive use of gcc4 when I am not needing gcc3.
>
> Yes. Though if you're compiling libraries at all, you need to keep them in a
> separate path for binary compatibility.

Are you referring to gcc's libs or the libs created by the application I
am compiling?

Ok I suppose I did not do that as I just did a 'make install' of mpayer
after build. Mplayer's libs would have gotten mixed in correct?? What is
the correct way to specify lib directory in a build. Is this a switch to
./configure or make install?

If this is the case I could search for creation timestamp and move them
out to a separate directory.

I forget how does one specify lib path? Would it ve safe to leave the path
be both libs at all times?

Doug