Re: BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2019-02-10

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> I'll be there.
>
> Just picked up a new single board computer NanoPi M4,
> which is like a jacked up Pi 3.
> [image: IMG_20190203_182122.jpg]
> [image: IMG_20190202_154709.jpg]

Looks like a winner at least as to RAM _relative to_ any of the RPi SoCs.
https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=234

2GB RAM model $65
4GB RAM model $95

(Doesn't include optional heat sink, or case, or 12V/5A power adapter.
The heat sink would be highly recommended.)

And the other win is the pair of PCIe sockets, such that you can
potentially use real mass storage, e.g., SATA-connected SSDs or hard
drives.  _Or_ you can follow the path of least resistance and buy either
a micro SD card or an eMMC flash module.

As to the ARM-family CPU:  I see mention of Cortex-A72 and Cortex-A53,
inside a Rockchip RK3399 SoC (System on Chip).
http://rockchip.wikidot.com/rk3399

Comparative review:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08/27/rockpro64-rk3399-board-linux-review-ubuntu-18-04/

One thing to bear in mind is that _all_ ARM systems so far are
special-snowflake hardware, in the sense that, e.g., every single ARM
system requires a special kernel constructed using out-of-tree
patchsets.  Standard kernel.org code doesn't run on them.

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet