[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Cafe Blue Door, Sudo Room, ...: Re: Possibilities for new BerkeleyLUG meetup place?
- To: BerkeleyLUG <email@example.com>
- Subject: Cafe Blue Door, Sudo Room, ...: Re: Possibilities for new BerkeleyLUG meetup place?
- From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
- Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 07:41:15 -0700
- Arc-authentication-results: i=2; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 22.214.171.124 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; gmr-mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 126.96.36.199 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of email@example.com) smtp.mailfrom=Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu
- Arc-message-signature: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=list-unsubscribe:list-subscribe:list-archive:list-help:list-post :list-id:mailing-list:precedence:user-agent:content-disposition :mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:to:reply-to:from:date :message-id:sender:dkim-signature; bh=9NSMhuhuRdK71bCB2PhZ/jKxVZuYCsULBdqW7lAJKdc=; b=vid878RXHAF23YIuCkcIm0uFHm88LUJagQ73XkNHWWG9+0SYVXQiH1jwklUBzKuCt2 EPRL71oVnpalFzNbx85flzGbzMZXion53DtdJWNFkNh0KVGx1JXEsQQo5Sb7M5fPyBn/ WXAnEMqaRRQTK8tRvRfIFGqXQpIE7TvbCt+HeI4TFfyxHYWPnjNoP6B5UPE0S0vp4X7U PhslIajby3EMmmVksifiXHLvnNNXz86yjvK+mhS+zTTaBZRbuZteKjY0cCy2MsFNpZmK qu4b3Rg2c7lxzst37b1MYIcvxJss/M/BYaeB3J7e39seGHkVCAUBaXTLjfITZ5ZT8kdk yoAQ==
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=user-agent:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :mime-version:in-reply-to:references:subject:to:reply-to:from:date :message-id; bh=B5KVhLQRFOFY4Qi/JfcQQ09Um6wlvSli3TBVl3jsugo=; b=Coi8tco1z3LGHxtsTQLNF8xz4PXaIt5HTe/VrR0Q43DI+9W+5hv5GhKPmZrGztauwU dSXUH/MITxtHdslWep0/ogtsd7lFmadamc+L7RDu4b+fsleqLlZTrqdS3mJ6A+doVoBe vz/Ky8BzolhD73QtRJY3YDQZcOHKsbKV1VPRSQEDo4d1xo9PBckCDIYKgPL+d5iFhT4P BJLyDPsTY9XXH+3gRZmsAZg2Xr/UfazWL0UsEQxmLeZ0q0QW7sRJcLs8PMW7X7BiCrVa /u9ow9g0tJN8G41+fhOvkxlSRqQPAE7AOLdZ8OjNzcC+64IIUbEeQwqPWxX5Xd7WkzJL Y/SA==
- Arc-seal: i=2; a=rsa-sha256; t=1557758477; cv=pass; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Gz+sZwlhnUeEDIvFg8a/XugqAif6/7ZmxTDj0sgoyQsFI7eiaD4oVz01y4j1Nzjaii LSvczdfhilsGyMkKPAly/RiYbAIDB/zH/oR62ZDpG3nxwFUnB9ZKcEkJ9gDKDcdQbVwQ FDhMeZnHskHQ7OHcb8CDjtIsJQgAXmLjQdeCEc1Bj00A5zB5+MyuhlkZnE9fara+D2uY NhHKZbRHr1nP941pk4S7SdgIhdvCrI8ms4z5IjjvX6bS1pgjlCYo5uF6b3TqGAfhUQaI UJVJykjvMsLkEQTXcfZUKWQBjklG+k2yetpkdtcLdWK/MOmqK6GSsCBYwf5ujKS2ms0e gOtQ==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1557758477; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=EWK6BG3Zqsk6m2444cGae6SB40784SpSa3Zs/WGGRCnr1Gc26gzxvjbJ3LMwS+p6jb mU9XNxQwdYyrRG+9G5DG7q/TkHqE76rZkLg22yC5VTHK+mOoKC/ALNSxIQvSVZk9d7uv 6NQMEGqES2+IHeSJr4JsPBAc4P2TBU5JeeGZKzOMrIT+9xU/iEfxliIoYvZ/Gr46FirK hq75Ew6k+IE0Ilzg9JWF/ug865Ox1lW8BxUGZ5v6ep7i2RvOYeezy99t3XVkwW/LRyFn FstRfFWY4GV4Iqx6QWavv94e32wPurGmYSlF0LLn8MEx1RW8qjKlUsQvjufqn6CnC6Rt tfYg==
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=20161025; h=sender:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:references :in-reply-to:mime-version:content-disposition:user-agent :x-original-sender:x-original-authentication-results:precedence :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-archive :list-subscribe:list-unsubscribe; bh=9NSMhuhuRdK71bCB2PhZ/jKxVZuYCsULBdqW7lAJKdc=; b=q94YtOC5RwiufavfHoPJdIOGuwje9qiKoUBlSruB9Kpq/P+5UBHNiUEAhvFtNxdENj d5wK2nNL+S19O/IwHpC7tnfiLiVP/e4xzAgyQN3pRYikxenJxXnpsUNLJQkFiUz8ZKiR Yj3279L0x5FQNmFlKgMifmxS+sA2BxIWaefz1VPkMgZdKkNQdHatuaxo2iWfJcMaCSX7 1Vrw/IYXwh/8zOF+1z+z9OwN7F7y/JZb6rG6uPO1Q7pQybfDFTT7VJFliA2wXDP/EP3N bgzVHYWXHPRUDXvZqRDb5/VqfvkLzp9TlwuhmN5UTQvJJLES2yODn0foa7uodYwGLQSt fIMQ==
- In-reply-to: <CAF+xKT5YWCDTghnmfWRWhAOXgYYOvaXeJ2MO5-t1_gA7XpsF0g@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylu>
- List-help: <https://groups.google.com/support/>, <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: <berkeleylug.googlegroups.com>
- List-post: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/post>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>, <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>, <https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug/subscribe>
- Mailing-list: list email@example.com; contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com> <CAF+xKT5YWCDTghnmfWRWhAOXgYYOvaXeJ2MO5-t1_gA7XpsF0g@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
- User-agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) H3 (4.2.1-RC1)
Sudo Room ... that's in Oakland ... so I'm presuming a no-go for
Cafe Blue Door ... Kim's checked it out a fair number of times,
I've also checked it out some moderate bit or so - including also
in the noon-3pm Sunday range (and curing regular UC Berkeley academic
session). Key -'s (if I recall correctly):
o available seating - only one large table (that can accommodate 6+ people),
and that table's often occupied, and there isn't power right at/by the
table, though a shortish distance away - and would require a
power/extension cord across walkway area - which *may* (or may not) be
a no-go depending upon venue's policies.
Also, in general there's often little free seating (zero to very few
unoccupied tables), and other than the one large tables, the others
only reasonably handle 2 to 4 people, and looks like it's not
configured to be able to easily/reasonably reshuffle tables to put
together a larger group (if venue even allows that, and if one can
find sufficient unoccupied tables close together).
o nose level - most of the time it's relatively okay / not too bad,
but it *can* get very loud in there - next-to-nothing in the way of
acoustics to deaden noise, and if, e.g. there's a quite loud talkative
group(s) there (sometimes happens/observed), it can be very annoyingly
loud/distracting/disturbing ... but *most* of the time it seems not
that bad as far as noise level goes.
I wouldn't (quite?) call it a no-go, but it may (at best?) be somewhat
more challenging than 85C.
From: "Alan Davis" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Re: Possibilities for new BerkeleyLUG meetup place?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 23:09:03 -0700
Just a random thought: is there a maker space with space devoted to
groups? I seem to recall there was one in the Mission District, where
Linux meetups were held, at least I read about it, which suggests to me
that such sites or organizations would be or might be amenable to such
As an infrequent flier, to make such a proposal is out of parameters,
beyond my paygrade. Absurd. Is the Sudo Room a possibility? I haven't
been there, but plan to visit "RSN."
On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 9:23 PM goossbears <email@example.com> wrote:
During today's meetup, a few of you threw out possibilities of where we
might meet in the future, besides at the default 85C Bakery.
I did a bit of initial follow-thru and came up with both some conclusive
and inconclusive results, as per the below.
1. Lanesplitter Pizza at 2033 San Pablo Ave b/t University Ave & Addison
St, West Berkeley
+'s: expansive seating, WiFi, available Sunday PM hours
-'s: possibly high noise volume, location further away from centralized
Based on the input of at least one active BerkeleyLUG participant, my own
conclusion is that this location would probably not work out.
2. Red Tomato Pizza House at 2017 University Ave b/t Milvia St & Shattuck
Ave, Downtown Berkeley
+'s: location near the heart of Downtown Berkeley, sufficient space and
(presumably) WiFi and outlets
-'s: closed on Sundays
Since this location is closed on Sundays, my own conclusion is that this
location would not work out.
3. The Berkeley Public Library's 3rd floor Community Meeting Room at the
Central Library at 2090 Kittredge Street
Meeting Rooms info
Meeting Room Use Policy (Rules And Regulations For Use Of Library Grounds,
Buildings, And Equipment For Meetings And Other Events) PDF
+'s: location in the heart of Downtown Berkeley, very good WiFi, plenty of
power outlets, can support a large number of meetup participants with their
equipment, good overlapping hours for Sunday meetups (community room
available to 5pm), very good restroom facilities
-'s: stricter eligibility rules and requirements for use of community
facilities than for most (or all) other businesses considered here, can
only RSVP for one meetup a month, non-guaranteed access to community room
based upon other groups possibly RSVP'ing for overlapping timeslots, other
My own tentative guess is that this probably would not work out, although
this is inconclusive based upon viewing just the above pair of BerkeleyPL
4. Cafe Blue Door at 2244 Bancroft Way b/t Ellsworth St & Fulton St
+'s: located less than a dozen short blocks Southeast of 85C Bakery quite
near Downtown Berkeley and immediately across from the Southwest corner of
the Cal campus, has WiFi, open all afternoon on Sundays
-'s: unknowns such as sufficient seating and table capacity(?), power
outlets(?), decent restroom facilities(?)
Inconclusive results, pending those of us interested in this possible
venue paying in-person visits to Cafe Blue Door to check it out.
Please feel free to chime in and offer your own thoughts on the above
and/or on other ideas any of you may have of alternative meetup
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BerkeleyLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/berkeleylug.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeleylug/20190513074115.1987183z7swqcf7k%40webmail.rawbw.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.