Re: February Raspberry Pi meeting

Oh Rick I am very sorry.

I got there around 11 and there was a line of people waiting to sit down.  I left to try to find a new spot and
no luck.  So I thought that closer to lunch would be easier and yes then I got a table (noonish)

My bad. I should have at least posted on the list the troubles I was having.

Next month for the anniversary event I'll have to arrive early and reserve a spot.

So eventually it was me and Bob Smith and Peter Mui.
Peter gave out some Intel Edison boards.  Intel's foray to IOT.  Which they have
now given up on.  I think it is still useful even with Intel dropping support as it runs
Linux and is supported by the Arduino IDE.

Bob and Peter had Pi's with the official touchscreen.  Bob also had a battery power
shield/hat for the Pi and an RTL-SDR dongle.
I tried to install LAMP on a Pi3.  Nginx for the web server and MariaDB.  Using this guide:
https://howtoraspberrypi.com/install-wordpress-on-a-raspberry-pi-with-nginx/  But having
trouble with the MySQL commands.
Anyways, I brought along a WRT54G router and configured it in "client mode" connecting to
Blue Door Cafe wifi.  That worked at least!  Bringing my own router makes it easy to ssh into
a headless Pi.

We got some interest from a student sharing the table.  He is studying programming and
got a Pi to run a toy car that can be controlled by a smartphone.  But he hasn't even
started.
A big point of the meeting is to get all these Pi's out of the drawer and get it actually doing
something.  I have the same trouble: a lot of ideas but not so much the skill or dedication.
I hope to fix all that, though.

Thomas

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> Ok here and sorry for being late.  There is a group already here taking up
> most of the tables but now it is clearing up.
>
> I'm at a small table at the window.
>
> If the large table opens up i'll move there.

Sorry to have missed you, Thomas.  Deirdre and I arrived about 11:10am,
waited around for a while, and double-checked this Google Group for any
'I'll be a little late' or 'We've moved to $FOO' posting, and saw none.
So, we appear to have narrowly missed your arrival when we gave up and
drove home -- but it was a pleasant drive both ways, and I got to see
many old Berkeley haunts.

On the other matter you posted about, I hear that it's Superb Owl Sunday,
so I'm intending to spend some time this afternoon at one of our local
hilly parks, hoping to sight a Great Horned Owl.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article239788423.html

--
Cheers,                     "It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
Rick Moen                           -- Terry Pratchett, _A Hat Full of Sky_