Re: February Raspberry Pi meeting

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> Oh Rick I am very sorry.

Seriously, don't worry.  I love visiting Berkeley, which has all sorts
of good memories and special places for me, and for reasons I discussed
with you on the telephone a short while ago, I was really delighted to
have a nice Sunday road trip to there and back.

> So eventually it was me and Bob Smith and Peter Mui.  Peter gave out
> some Intel Edison boards.  Intel's foray to IOT.  Which they have now
> given up on.  I think it is still useful even with Intel dropping
> support as it runs Linux and is supported by the Arduino IDE.

Affirmative.  Much fun can be had:
https://www.linux.com/tutorials/intel-edison-linux-maker-machine-matchbox/
It's kind of impressive to get a dual-core Atom CPU, 1GB RAM, 4GB of
flash storage, _and_ Arduino compatibility on something the size of an
SD card (1/6 the size of a RPi).  Especially given out for free:  Intel
had spec'd this for a $50 price point, about.

As the (above-cited) article points out, the GPIO pins running at a
(low) 1.8 volts is an obstacle to doing much analogue-ey stuff until you
do voltage shifting with ancillary hardware.

It'll run some major distros, or at least walk them briskly.  (Comes
preloaded with Yocto Linux image for Edison.)

Part II of that article series:
https://www.linux.com/tutorials/interact-intel-edison-using-sparkfun-blocks/

> Bob and Peter had Pi's with the official touchscreen.  Bob also had a
> battery power shield/hat for the Pi and an RTL-SDR dongle.  I tried to
> install LAMP on a Pi3.  Nginx for the web server and MariaDB.  Using
> this guide:
> https://howtoraspberrypi.com/install-wordpress-on-a-raspberry-pi-with-nginx/
> But having trouble with the MySQL commands.

The MySQL command-line interface is a pain in the tochis.  On any system
where you have PHP going, you can help yourself a great deal by using
the Adminer tool, a single-piece PHP front-end to MySQL (and thus to
MariaDB):

https://www.adminer.org/
(As the Web page suggests, the author was inspired to write it by just
how ghastly a piece bloatware spaghetti code the _other_ thing usually
suggested, phpMyAdmin, is.  He succeeded in vastly surpassing the
competition, by making something that's equally functional, but tiny and
fast.)

Once you've gotten used to that, having to deal with /usr/bin/mysql will
seem like wearing the hair shirt, trust me.

> A big point of the meeting is to get all these Pi's out of the drawer
> and get it actually doing something.  I have the same trouble: a lot
> of ideas but not so much the skill or dedication.  I hope to fix all
> that, though.

Respects for that.  Next time I attend, I can use the occasion to
motivate me to do something with my spare WRT54G.

--
Cheers,                     "Why doesn't anyone invite copyeditors to parties,
Rick Moen                   when we're such cool people out with whom to hang?"