Re: Berkeley Pi: Re: Berkeley Raspberry Pi meeting March 1st -- Jam Time!

Quoting ace36 (acohen36@gmail.com):

> OTOH, one reason that comes to mind to avoid bringing Microsoft into
> the equation of Tom's Raspberry Pi group is that some of we Linux/BSD
> users and even developers *still* might not particularly wish to
> encourage Microsoft's quite specific overtures to FOSS developers (a
> few might even call these unwelcome "faux-Embracing incursions") to
> get us/them exposed to Microsoft's own software as well as to that of
> third-party companies directly owned and managed by MS.
[...]

Pardon me, Aaron, but you're indulging an obsolete and inapplicable
habit of thinking to this matter.

Open source operating system and other open source software projects are
just _not_ trapped in the old, dismal zero-sum squabble over mindshare,
because open source projects simply do not live or die by market
percentage or users or developers.  We don't suffer if they do well,
as long as our projects have the requisite minimum number of active
participants to keep them healthy and moving forward.

It's actually just a little embarrassing to see Bay Area Linux people
venting paranoia over 'competition' and 'crashing of events' by
Microsoft.  It implies that the Bay Area Linux people in question are
still a bit slow about figuring out the broader implications of open
source licensing.

(To be honest, there was a time in the 1990s when we Linux activists
routinely 'crashed' a few major Microsoft marketing events here in the
South Bay just in a spirit of good-natured rivalry, though we were
careful to be extremely well behaved.  Look up 'Silicon Valley Tea
Party' for a noted example.  We were basically just better at marketing
than they were.)