Re: Apres virtual meeting of Sunday the 14th

Quoting goossbears (acohen36@gmail.com):

> Yeah, basically Tom L, Michael P, Chris P, myself and then Rick M a
> bit later on.  One significant part of the Jitsi meetup was helping to
> resolve Chris's HP printer driver issue (Chris, Rick, Michael and
> others, pls feel free to jump in about that.)

Most important thing (IMO) is that Chris was still running Ubuntu Linux
14.04 LTS 'Trusty Tahr' -- which means he is running a six-year-old
(2014) distro whose support ended for almost everyone[1] 14 months ago.
So, yeah, its HPLIP drivers package probably wouldn't support recent HP
multifunction printer/scanners -- but the bigger concern is very
outdated software with accumulating security holes.

Thus, my strong recommendation (as was Michael's) to Chris was to fix
that problem first.  Probably, doing so would make his printer driver go
away effortlessly, too.

Ubuntu's LTS (long-term support) series since then has been:

o  Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS 'Trusty Tahr' -- what Chris is still running
o  Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS 'Xenial Xerus' -- from 2016
o  Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS 'Cosmic Cuttlefish' -- from 2018
o  Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS 'Focal Fossa' -- from 2020

ISTR that Ubuntu notifies you when there's each new Ubuntu Linux release
(or, if you're tracking LTS, more specifically each new LTS release),
and that you ought to let it go through an upgrade process.
_People really should do so._  If things are working as intended, Chris
would have been prompted three times that he ought to permit upgrade to
a new LTS release.

That having not gone right, our best recommendation was _not_ to attempt
stepwise upgrade three times in a row (possible but slow and
complicated), but rather to back up personal files and any system files
he may have altered, and then do a from-scratch installation (erasing
and re-creating existing partitions) of Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS.
http://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/ubuntu-releases/20.04/

I found and provided to Chris the URL of Ubuntu's blurb about their
current recommended tool ('Startup Disk Creator') for writing out to
things like USB flash drive image files like the ones at the URL in the
prior paragraph.

Here's one such page.  (Not sure it's the URL I gave Chris.)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Creating_a_bootable_Ubuntu_USB_flash_drive_from_Ubuntu

There are separate pages & recommended tool about burning the image to a
writeable DVD (old-school ;->  ).

Chris said he doesn't currently have any USB flash drive handy , but
that sounds like a very solvable problem, mail-order or otherwise:
https://www.newegg.com/USB-Flash-Drives/SubCategory/ID-522