file manger Ewey GUI thingies & automouting: Re: Help Creating A Bootable USB Disk

From: "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: Help Creating A Bootable USB Disk
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 19:09:10 -0700

Quoting 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG (berkeleylug@googlegroups.com):

You gravitated towards a Desktop Environment aka DE (GNOME, as packaged
by Ubuntu Linux) that includes an automounter.  I rather dislike
automounters, because (by definition & by design) they autodetect
whenever you've attached a device with mountable filesystems and mount
them in background at mountpoints of their choosing, without bothering
to ask you whether you want them mounted or where you wish the
mountpoint to be.

Yeah, ... I generally find such things rather to quite annoying.
Been a long time since I'd looked at it on *buntu (or the like),
so ... was curious ... fired one up (created VM & launched
Ubuntu 20.4 on it).

Last I'd poked at it, some several years or more ago, the offending bit was
nautilus - the Ewey GUI file manager utility thingy.
If it saw new device that looked mountable or like it had mountable
bits, it would automagically mount 'em.  I found that highly
annoying.  I also found, with some poking around at the Ewey GUI bits,
at least as I seem to recall at the time, somewhere in "Options" or
"Preferences" or the like, it was also quite easy to disable the
automounting thing ... so one could still have all that file management
Ewey GUIness, but without it automounting.  Okay, whatever ... that was
some years ago, as I recall it, and was nautilus at the time, and as
Ubuntu (or *buntu or whatever it was) had it configured, at least by
default.

Anyway, decided to look at the current.  Similar, but different.
The good news - by default - it seems (at least the bit I tried)
to not automagically mount.
But the bad (and/or not so good) news.
A mere double-click (or click) and - boom mounted.
More annoyingly, was finding the preferences/options settings, and
once found, how to disable the mounting, or make it "harder", like
at least requiring some confirmation dialog.  No such option.
No mount related options at all - nothing to say mount automagically
without me doing anything, or don't mount no matter what, no matter
how many times I click on the device icon or how or whatever, no
setting between to ask/force some confirmation dialog, ... no
mount related settings at all - at least in the GUI.
And ... I think most users using GUI to manage files, generally won't
go much beyond options made available in/via the GUI.  So, I didn't
bother to dig deeper.  Oh, and yes, checked the processes and such,
again, it's nautilus.  So, ... I don't know what the DE du jour is
for Ubuntu, but if one might like that ... but nautilus or its
behavior, might be feasible to just disable (or uninstall)
nautilus ... or install/use some other Ewey GUI file manager instead.
Anyway, I didn't poke at it further ... not of that much interest to
me.  But I'm sure there must be other folks that know all about
various Ewey GUI file managers, which are available on which distros,
default behaviors of each on various distros, and how each
can/can't be customized, how, and to what degree, and how
easily and/or not.

So, it is common for novices like you, having been subtly pushed towards
(IMO) overly complicated DEs and distributions, end up thereafter taken
by surprise by being inexplicably prevented from doing partition
operations, because of the device already having been mounted in
background, e.g., busy.

My _own_ response to this situation would be to say 'The hell with
GNOME, and let's in particular lose its automounter daemon.'  Since it's

There may be lots of (other) good reasons/arguments to say 'The hell with
GNOME', but I don't know that the Ewey GUI file manager thingy is one
of them.  Heck, I don't even know what DE Ubuntu 20.4 is using.
And, might be very feasible to disable/remove/replace/reconfigure
the Ewey GUI file manager thingy ... and not otherwise need to change
DE ... though there may be (many!) other reasons for going to a
different DE or much lighter weight one, or just a simple
window manager.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-prisoner/the-prisoner-s1-e10-hammer-into-anvil/5b7c40d614edba1447009ac2
https://archive.org/download/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner10HammerIntoAnvil.mp4
https://archive.org/download/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner10HammerIntoAnvil.ogv

--
Cheers,            You must rise or sink / You must conquer or win,
Rick Moen Or serve and lose. / Suffer or triumph, / Be anvil or hammer.