Re: file manger Ewey GUI thingies & automouting: Re: Help Creating A Bootable USB Disk

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> There may be lots of (other) good reasons/arguments to say 'The hell with
> GNOME', but I don't know that the Ewey GUI file manager thingy is one
> of them.  Heck, I don't even know what DE Ubuntu 20.4 is using.

For the record, Canonical-tweaked GNOME3 with gnome-shell 3.36.4,
nautilus 3.36.3, openbox 3.6.1, and gtk 3.24.21.

> And, might be very feasible to disable/remove/replace/reconfigure
> the Ewey GUI file manager thingy ... and not otherwise need to change
> DE ... though there may be (many!) other reasons for going to a
> different DE or much lighter weight one, or just a simple
> window manager.

Obviously, Views Differ[tm], but when I found out how easy a good Linux
distribution makes it to choose what you want to install & run on an 'a
la carte' basis, I lost all interest in installing & running the
figurative kitchen sink.

> http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-prisoner/the-prisoner-s1-e10-hammer-into-anvil/5b7c40d614edba1447009ac2
> https://archive.org/download/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner10HammerIntoAnvil.mp4
> https://archive.org/download/The_Prisoner/ThePrisoner10HammerIntoAnvil.ogv

Ah, yes, that's indeed where I first encountered the Goethe quotation.
In the episode, the sadistic Number Two quotes it unironically, but
there is good reason to think Goethe intend it the opposite way.

Number Two: You are too strong. We'll see. "Du mußt Amboß oder Hammer sein."
Number Six: "You must be anvil or hammer."
Number Two: I see you know your Goethe.
Number Six: And you see me as the anvil?
Number Two: Precisely. I am going to hammer you.

I comment on this in http://linuxmafia.com/pub/humour/sigs-rickmoen.html:

(Archivist's note:  This is an English translation of the concluding
lines from one of two poetic songs Goethe wrote in 1787 for a now-lost
opera, Die Mystificierten (The Mystified), both of which he fancifully
pretended to have translated from the Coptic language, thus their names
Kophtisches Lied (Coptic Song) and Ein Anderes (Another, as in another
Coptic song).  Long after the opera was abandoned, Goethe saved the two
songs and published them in his collection Gesellige Lieder (Convivial
Songs), in 1814.

My best guess, along with that of an actual contemporary Coptic
scholar, is that the narrator's view, that one must be either ruthless
oppressor or ruthlessly oppressed, is being voiced by Goethe ironically,
as the songs were part of a commentary on contemporaneous European
politics that had turned ruthlessly transformative (particularly the
French Revolution), an approach to life Goethe very much did not share.

The line "You must be hammer or anvil" is well known to fans of
Patrick McGoohan's unique 1960s television programme The Prisoner, as
the thematic quotation cited by the new and particularly ruthless Number
2 in the episode Hammer into Anvil.)