Re: Help Creating A Bootable USB Disk

From: "Rick Moen" <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: Help Creating A Bootable USB Disk
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 20:36:36 -0700

Quoting 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG (berkeleylug@googlegroups.com):
 The only problem I have had is getting my scanner to work.   I called
HP and they say they no longer support Linux.  I am working on it.

You're probably overreading the phrase 'we no longer support'.  That
merely means they refuse to assist you.  It tells you nothing whatsoever
about whether there is easy support in open source (or proprietary
alternative software, notably VueScan) for your scanner.

If you would please look carefully at your scanner and tell this mailing
list its model number, it'll then be possible to assist you.

So, do that, please.

It's highly likely that there is good open source driver support for
your scanner, though at any given time some models are problem children,
typically models that are either extremely new, or are all-in-one
devices, or both.

Yep, very likely it's well supported ... even if not - or not so much,
by HP, very likely well supported by relevant Linux distro(s) and
software thereupon.

And I'm sure, HP also doesn't want to spend time/money on support calls
dealing with Linux - especially without a paid support contract on it,
so I'm quite sure in general they're more inclined to shove/push off
such calls as quickly as feasible.  After all, the folks answering
their phones for support and the related infrastructure ... not just
some volunteers and volunteered resources ... so of course they want
to generally be making money off of it ... or at least minimizing
costs thereof.  And, speaking of HP, might also have much better results
with their on-line resources ... including also their "community" forum
or whatever they're calling it (that cost 'em a lot less to operate).