(forw) [luv-talk] LUV status (& online meeting possibilities)

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 21:55:53 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
To: luv-talk@luv.asn.au
Subject: [luv-talk] LUV status (& online meeting possibilities)

Robin Stephens asked:

> Is luv-main still the primary place for discussion of all things Linux
> in Victoria?

It kind of is (to my knowledge).  As you perhaps observed, it's
reasonably active, with over a dozen postings over the course of July.

I'm going to return to your point via a seeming digression, so please
bear with me:

Point 1.  My friend Michael Paoli has been doing fine work collecting a
list on Bay Area Linux User Group's (San Francisco) wiki of all known
recurring virtual LUG meetings, during the pandemic era.  It's here:

https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:covid-19

You will note there's nothing (yet) from Oz:  not Vic, not NSW, nothing.
This is perhaps accurate, perhaps not.  Truth to tell, I was just now
double-checking all of LUV's public mailing lists and Web site to see if
there were mention of a LUV online meeting.  (There is not - yet.)

As I find time, I intend to check other Australian Linux sites to see if
any ought to be added to the page.  Please, if you (plural) have a
chance, kindly do likewise.

That was the _initial_ point I wanted to make.

Point 2:  Hmm, one silver lining of the slow trend of rolling out online
meetings (on Zoom, Jitsi Meet, or others) is that suddenly physicality
is less important.  I have lately been attending a number of
organisations' Zoom or Jitsi meetings that are thousands of kilometres
away from me.  (Yr. humble servant is 60 km south of San Francisco,
and his time zone during this season is UTC-7:  Locals call it PDT =
Pacific Daylight Time.)

Recently, for five days at the end of July, I helped run the annual
World Science Fiction Convention ('Worldcon'), a volunteer-owned/run
literary and fandom event, held this year in Wellington, Enn-Zed.  But,
of course, 2020 being the dumpster fire that it is, few of the ~2000
attendees could be in Wellington, so this was the first-ever virtual
Worldcon, held using a mix of Zoom, Discord, WordPress, Jitsi Meet, and
some other technologies.  (I did the buildout & administration of
Jitsi Meet for the Worldcon.)

Starting during staff planning and running through the event, I kept a
browser tab open to https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ , to keep an eye on
the two timezones:  I came to think of NZ, being on NZST = UTC+12, as
five hours behind me plus a day ahead.  (It seemed humourously fitting
for the Worldcon to be held in the future.  ;->  )  LUV / Melbourne /
Vic, being on AEST = UTC+10 during these winter months, I would
naturally think of as seven hours behind me plus a day ahead.   As a
mnemonic, you see.  (I also switched to 24hr clock notation, as it makes
the maths easier.)

To sum:  The jiggering of time differences is irksome but one quickly
finds heuristics & tools to cut the annoyance value, and reduce error.

The conclusion:  How about other LUV people joining me in showing up at
select virtual LUG events with little regard to distance or national
borders?  (I _am_ a longtime LUV person, even if I am Yet Another Bloody
Yank.)

Point 3:  Also, please consider looking into occasional and perhaps
regular LUV meetings on Jitsi Meet (like: meet.jit.si/luv) or on Zoom.
Then, you (or I) can add them to Michael Paoli's list, and (for better
or worse) gain international attendees with peculiar accents.

I would be glad to give a virtual lecture on the construction, care, and
feeding of Jitsi Meet for LUV.  (I could be LUV's first monthly speaker
to ever give a presentation to LUV's audience from 12,600 km away.)

(If Russell or another LUV officer considers this posting appropriate
for luv-main, great.  I didn't want to presume.)