Re: Virtual meetup this Sunday 2020-08-09; own mini-project

Quoting goossbears (acohen36@gmail.com):

> My own mini-project aim for today and this upcoming week is
> to install an i686 (i.e., 32bit x86) Linux distro or distros that will
> still be around and maintained (hopefully!) within the next
> half-dozen years onto a pair of fairly low-end laptops.
> Futhermore, and aside from possible rants from one or two
> sysadmins reading this, would like to configure the i686 Linux
> laptop installs so that they appear as close as possible similar
> to the MS Windows 10 desktop environment (DE) that the
> intended users of these low-RAM laptops prefer on their
> higher-end 64bit desktop PCs, while also allowing for easy
> desktop switching to the *non*-Windows-like,
> low-RAM-requiring DE's that _I_ prefer using.
> The top two contenders are....
> - Debian Linux https://www.debian.org/  <https://www.debian.org/>(DE's:
> XFCE, LXQt)
> +and+
> - Slackware Linux http://www.slackware.com/ (DE's: XFCE, FluxboxWM)
>
> Sorry Rick and others, for various reasons, the ultimately
> Debian-derived lightweight distros Devuan
> GNU+Linux https://devuan.org/ , Lubuntu https://lubuntu.me/ ,
> Bodhi Linux https://www.bodhilinux.com/ and a few others
> don't quite make the grade here :/

I'm not offended in any way!  ;->

What's really great is that you have a fairly well thought out sense of
what you're seeking, and I'm very far from arguing with your logic or
your starting premises (not to mention that issues of personal taste are
involved).

For the record, I likewise respect LXQt, XFCE4, and Fluxbox.

The task of having desktop environments comfortable for Windows 10
desktop users, while doing so with 2020 Linux distros on low-spec IA32
laptops is sort of threading the needle, so I applaud you taking on the
challenge.

--
Cheers,                 "My hot flight attendant asked how I like my coffee.
Rick Moen               And that's when she told me:  'That's cute, honey, but