Light (hdd too) Distro for VirtualBox

BerkeleyLUG -

After dragging my feet all day yesterday, I finally got around to studying PureScript, which existed* on a Mint 19 xfce VM allocated w/ 16GB of RAM...

* existed: it got messed up. ( nope, no virtualbox "snapshot" ) It's in "infinite login" mode similar to:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/997615/virtualbox-guest-ubuntu-login-loop

Although fixing it would be nice, that's not my immediate concern as I've already wasted a few hours trying to do just that.

My current concern is to find a smaller Ubuntu based distro to install vscode on and be small enough ( my Mint was 52GB ) that I can *backup* more easily / readily.

I'm currently trying to upgrade a Lubuntu VM to 20.04 (probably should have waited and asked first)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Jason