Re: BerkeleyLUG venue shutdowns

And I noticed this morning, another business and potential venue
gone.  We'd never met there, but various among us had scouted
out many potential locations throughout Berkeley.
Anyway, Sacks Coffee House, 2701 College Ave.
I think as recently as about a month or so ago, it
appeared still very closed*, but otherwise untouched.
Was by there this morning, and the place has been totally
gutted and cleaned out.  Looks like it's all set for a
new business tenant that might stand to make a profit - or
to be built/customized/furnished within to suit such a
tenant.  About the only sign that it ever was Sacks Coffee House,
is ... literally sign - the big sign outside up relatively high
on the corner of the building is still there.  As far as I could
easily tell, all other traces one might otherwise see there that
it had ever been Sacks Coffee House - totally gone and wiped clean.
So, Sacks sacked by Covid-19.

Well, we shall see.  When things get sufficiently safe to generally
meet in person again (herd immunity + COVID-19 cases way way way
down, or totally gone) ... the landscape will be different.
However I think there will also be relatively pent-up demand for
cafes and restaurants and such.  So, I think there will be many
well poised to (re)open such business at that right opportune
time ... and will do so.  But unfortunately, I think we'll still
generally see a lot more such venue closings than openings until
about that time comes.

*not sure if Sacks ever even reopened at all.  I think I might've seen
some evidence the may have done some trace of business after initial
shutdown ... but if so, never much, and never enough for the business to
be sustainable.  Sometimes the business economic losses are lower to
close, than remain open, ... and sometimes to close permanently than
temporarily.  Though, I think too, some may quite "close up shop"
and give up the location ... and when conditions are right, may
well reopen ... likely somewhere else, or possibly even in same
spots if their timing and the opportunity work out right.
But many won't come back - at all, ever, or anywhere.