Re: BerkeleyLUG venue shutdowns

On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 1:20:32 PM UTC-8 trl wrote:
Blue Door Cafe:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFXs25AKWp2ViNg16
Looks like they haven't survived, started packing up.

Au Coquelet: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfLGfP7h4iNnM4QMA
Locked up and notice about demolition and construction of new mega building.

Starbucks on Center and Oxford: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9hzigou2KR8oVTer7
This is on the end of the street from Bart to the campus.  They seemed to be doing business
just a couple weeks ago.

Overpriced car wash/gas station/convenience store: https://photos.app.goo.gl/seYHF3cwa32dRtD97
Another mega building.  Not sorry to see this close.  But a bunch of workers have lost their jobs.

Besides Au Coquelet and Blue Door Cafe, past live venues for BerkeleyLUG meetups were the pair of places at or near the South corners of Shattuck and University Aves in Downtown Berkeley; namely Bobby G's Pizzeria and 85C Cafe and Bakery.
As we can see from their revised website https://bobbygspizzeria.com/ , Bobby G's seems to be thriving as a takeout and delivery restaurant and probably could survive, IMHO, for a long while until it should possibly re-open for eat-in customers (2021? 2022?).

85C Cafe and Bakery, of course, closed well over a year ago as posted at https://berkeleylug.com/2019/06/02/and-from-85c-bakery-cafe-to/
85C Cafe and Bakery's nextdoor neighbor Veggie Grill Restaurant has been and apparently still is closed down as reported at their Yelp webpage https://www.yelp.com/biz/veggie-grill-berkeley-2
Any speculation of what might happen to the spaces of the former 85C Bakery and Veggie Grill??
E.g., Campus housing?? Other food or beverage business(es)??  Other retail business(es)?? Office space??

I find the confidence of the builder/developers strange.

Same here :-\

-A