Re: Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Virtual meeting tomorrow, Sunday 11.15.20

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> Blue Door Cafe:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFXs25AKWp2ViNg16
> Looks like they haven't survived, started packing up.
>
> Au Coquelet: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfLGfP7h4iNnM4QMA
> Locked up and notice about demolition and construction of new mega
> building.

Both will be sadly missed.

> I find the confidence of the builder/developers strange.  Are universities
> going to be relevant in the future?
> I think the pandemic has pointed out some problems with how we go to work
> and go to school.  Is the
> higher education system going to survive in the same form as it was?

This medium-term speculation by property barons about the end-state at
the end of the pandemic is interesting, isn't it?  Somewhere behind
closed doors, I'm sure there's been high-priced seminars prognosticating
about what will win and what will lose, in the new order to come.

Beyond that, I'm not even going to try to speculate.  It's become
apparent to me that the financial structure of the commercial real
estate market must have been strange, even before the pandemic:  For one
thing, over the last few decades, I've seen storefronts and entire
business buildings sitting tenant-less, even at prime locations, for
years on end, and it mystifies me how leaving an expensive asset
unproductive for long periods of time could make economic sense, but
evidently it does.  Maybe there are some really perverse tax incentives.
I really don't know the answer.

--
Cheers,                                       "The plural of regex is regrets."
Rick Moen                                      -- old coder gag, seen on Reddit