Andrew Gwozdziewycz on 13 Jul 2007 03:43:17 -0000

[philly-lambda] Re: Actually read SICP?

  • From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <apgwoz@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [philly-lambda] Re: Actually read SICP?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:43:16 -0400
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

I haven't had time to read the entire thing, but the first few chapters are absolutely enlightening. It's
still worth while, and definitely on my "Why can't I find more time to read this?" list. Pick up a copy,
you should be able to get it fairly cheap used online. Even if you don't read it cover to cover, and
pick out random bits, it's going to be worth it.

I'm sure someone who's read it and done all the problems will have more light to shed on the topic,
but do it.

As far as the shift to Python, though I think it's a bad choice to give up Scheme for this course, I think
they picked a language that is prone to learning, and supports enough interesting concepts that it's
still fairly powerful. Plus, since there are tons of projects out there using Python, it gives new students
a tool that they can use in the real world right away. Scheme's community lacks widely used projects
that have major impact.

Plus, if nothing else, it'll teach newbies to indent properly. :)