Kyle R. Burton on 17 Jun 2008 08:37:20 -0700

Re: thoughts on OCaml?

  • From: "Kyle R. Burton" <kyle.burton@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: thoughts on OCaml?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:37:13 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :dkim-signature:domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id :date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:reply-to :sender:precedence:x-google-loop:mailing-list:list-id:list-post :list-help:list-unsubscribe:x-beenthere; bh=3imiOh//+ez9nZvv/GIf4ifiOXt17UKVMrRk2jTO4hQ=; b=gUuQMBcMK7df3srj1rqkee6LkMirp+LmiMN6j6HQexCWIztx15bGzL24V96pZAxIw4 GwXO+sprRSzvVzVCDXPZHF3n4F46UT0O9RkS0bMEPxcKulpdqCX9LajdDRLYo6KYPdmF WcTGBqSpSu3Qz25CVUv5EoQ0Io821V4Vid6LU=
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=50ezPv22WAQR7ycJ2VUjhZHFojUTJ7rsPx6WQ07E7qg=; b=JOGvsRSTxq3NbvNqRok1f2L7xS3avgDnlSAZPn1d3n0Kw/dHjhdgoWocH7jOnBqRZR KXqJPKVOFxA6c+I7KylWwXJg4vjt1b+E+ysYAnolWqEzQqlTvoqYzp1i0pb3+lhLezzB c1SM6Yc5R5GqRizDdcOvzitJ/E3j/lfpCOA0c=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda-owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

> I've used OCaml extensively. It is my favorite language. Nice set of
> libraries, modern syntax, objects if you want them, great module
> system. Good runtime performance, and last but not least the
> quintessential polymorphic type system.

This list is true of a great many languages (well, except the thing
about the type system)...I'd like to hear your opinions or what you
mean by a couple of those points and discuss them (as long as we don't
end up in a language war).

> I've been curious why there's little OCaml traffic here.

Few users would be my guess.  Are you willing to do an intro
presentation or a practical OCaml presentation?  What about a workshop
(or a couple)?  Get others familiar with it, show them how it'll
benefit them, get people energized...

> Also curious why one would choose Lisp over
> OCaml or Haskell these days.

For me it is because of me, not OCaml.  By a vast majority, my
background is rooted in imperative languages (C++, Java, C, Perl).
The strongest type systems I've used are represented by C++ and Java.
Given all of this, strong static type systems don't yet make sense _to
me_ well enough that I can see how to solve problems with them.
Trying to not modify state (remember, the majority of my experience is
imperative), or not being able to, is a paradigm to which my mind
currently has an impedance mismatch (it's getting better as I read and
try more FP).  These are the reasons why Lisp is an easier fit for
_me_ - I can try as much FP as I can figure out how to do and fall
back to normal imperative approaches when I fail to be smart enough to
figure out a tail-recursive, referentially transparent solution.

All this said, I recognize the hole in my experience and am, albeit
slowly, endeavoring to fill it.  This group and your feedback are part
of that endeavor.

Regards,

Kyle