AOK on 2 Oct 2008 12:27:26 -0700

Re: Cloud Computing\Concurrency Conference: Toby DiPasquale is Speaking

  • From: AOK <aok@chariotsolutions.com>
  • To: Philly Lambda <philly-lambda@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: Cloud Computing\Concurrency Conference: Toby DiPasquale is Speaking
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:27:16 -0700 (PDT)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :mime-version:received:date:in-reply-to:x-ip:references:user-agent :x-http-useragent:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe :x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=jmYU0wDlpCvoqgaiHTxCSVVAc+7hQFzWt6JGEr9rpfQ=; b=PrXgJLOVvjEadABEOuV2uWq5giLh/czQMr8B9L4apg8JWSQF4zDATHwqSAllCsfY/3 P/RWaUn7tAXflviu0owZ5G0bgN64YtiX+g0fGatqW7T2bz/7wBAVHaLbX0oXBm7KmXHz yIRiAtgAZCpR9OlutAYuucGOKTBOt5fuYOjv0=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

If you have not looked at the Cloud Conference website -- or if you
have not looked at it lately, consider taking a(nother) look. The
roster is now complete:
www.cloudconeast.com

Since I announced the conference the abstract for Jeff Polakaw's talk
"Haskell in the Corporate Environment" has been added: An increasing
number of commercial enterprises are starting to look seriously at
Haskell, a higher-order, strongly typed, pure functional programming
language. This talk motivates the increased industrial attention to
Haskell by focussing on the advantages which Haskell brings to general
programming tasks. I will talk about my experience using Haskell to
design and implement the software infrastructure for a small trading
group at Deutsche Bank. Most of the applications I write deal with
such quotidian tasks as acquiring data from external sources, linking
up related information from different sources, searching for specific
patterns and making data available through a webserver. In addition to
outlining my overall system architecture and highlighting some novel
aspects of my implementation, I will discuss the various pros and
cons, technical and otherwise, of using Haskell in a corporate
environment.

We've also added a talk by Hive developer Prasad Chakka.

The conference is set for Friday, October 17 on the Penn State Great
Valley Campus in Malvern, PA. For more information and to register:
www.cloudconeast.com

AOK