Mark Dominus on 9 Nov 2008 20:21:22 -0800

Re: Atypical Typing" talk

  • From: mjd-phillylambda@plover.com (Mark Dominus)
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Atypical Typing" talk
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:21:11 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :received:date:from:subject:in-reply-to:to:message-id:reply-to :sender:precedence:x-google-loop:mailing-list:list-id:list-post :list-help:list-unsubscribe:x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=00FqWSrhVNEvTj8px0pDUzkdDIH00eLHu3zaURllfm4=; b=w+A3Y28W6VRyb5zE2HUoDxqWxbzRm/oBPP6nazdUB/2g0MbiIzea2ymNiRdzMhDTqP Udq+QiocJjgh3hOQNo0W2bAFMo+uyxlGx+HWfpGcgtFgBvuncTPGco2beqhsLlMFNtlG LFmmfTSQ7dDVpoQd7saZQsO2zVz38fYBoaQeU=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

> Last week I gave a keynote talk about the Haskell type system, and its
> implications for Java, at the ACM OOPSLA conference.

It now appears I'm going to do it again for the Philadelphia Linux
Users' Group on December 3.

Probably nothing in the talk will be news to the people on this list,
but a lot of people like to hear me give talks, so I thought I'd
mention it.

Location:
        University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
        600 South 43rd Street
        http://www.phillylinux.org/locations/usp.html

Time:
        The general meeting starts at 7PM.
        My talk will probably start around 7:45 PM.

Details about the talk are at:

        http://blog.plover.com/talk/atypical-types.html

Short summary:

        Many of the shortcomings of Java's type system were addressed
        by the addition of generics to Java 5.0. Java's generic types
        are a direct outgrowth of research into strong type systems in
        languages like SML and Haskell. But the powerful, expressive
        type systems of research languages like Haskell are capable of
        feats that exceed the dreams of programmers familiar only with
        mainstream languages.

        In this talk I give a brief retrospective on the history of
        type systems and an introduction to the type system of the
        Haskell language, including a remarkable example where the
        Haskell type checker diagnoses an infinite loop bug at compile
        time.