Kyle R. Burton on 10 Nov 2008 13:24:22 -0800

Re: next talk after Clojure?

  • From: "Kyle R. Burton" <kyle.burton@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: next talk after Clojure?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:24:10 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :dkim-signature:domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id :date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:reply-to :sender:precedence:x-google-loop:mailing-list:list-id:list-post :list-help:list-unsubscribe:x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=tYV06okNmGxfhMnhnK6XPU0sivej4ZYLWjv9pufFQEY=; b=SamYzxMutZwEFxrUXY8jk8BfPvUfA1Z5i7KZTVbD4mpkU++0/V+njlqmFo4gbzgATT nv6+akBWBK3UG7HrKjIgE0xVG/d0XPq4FMDw6r7DnILYs6MnRrVh5cYq3OV9L3VAutUx Csmf4diiJPsFif4YEFBlmZNGdnrYGUXKvcRes=
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=aamYIrN6ltkQ+y9cJyHCdzF4XlWu14sLQAkRw8kmaAk=; b=WkeAv/m+XIsCjwrwbv4EEwqULMrlsHJ+zQDwa8d3oTzEiHFi4E8KQOAfuRAzW0oBPf ufMaRlvCkSYV41cJzJpKgvw2p01als8FeBpNHs/Mb30jNNg0AN6axGZ9vDY4ExlIbqzH GitTgz5RveN3dzQB66Ua44HJxOe6MEVabXGKo=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

Ok, "The power of Lisp and X with an intuitive syntax" always makes me
think 'fail', but then the article does mention macros, but it says:
"To that event I've designed a macro system that some people will
probably find insane."

For me, the core power of Lisp is that it's homoiconic (which Ioke
also claims to be) and that is what enables the macro system - the
power, to me, is that the macro system raises the barriers to
abstraction that most other languages have and can't get past.  An
example is to try creating a Java library that allows you to define
classes with out typing the 'class' keyword - you can do this in C++
with the CPP, but again, this fist my definition of outside the
language - the syntax of the CPP is not C++ (its not even C).

If Ioke gets that right it'll be one of the few languages that has
that capability.  Lazy evaluation, which it also claims, eliminates
the need for macros in a most cases and is a great tool for
abstraction and composition.

I'd also like to see a talk on it...any takers?

Kyle

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Robert Di Marco <robdimarco@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be interested in Ioke.
>
> Rob
>
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Brian Donahue <brian@pigeonmoon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if he'd be up for another trip up here from DC, but the guy who
>> did an introductory F# talk at Philly ALT.NET a ways back has been blogging
>> up a storm about it, if you're interested:
>> http://is.gd/6WCA
>>
>> I'm not aware of anyone else locally that has been doing a lot with it,
>> but I will see what I can find out, and if I find anyone, definitely point
>> them in your direction.
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Nik Kolev <nkolev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

Wisdom and Compassion are inseparable.