Mike DeLaurentis on 10 Nov 2008 13:02:54 -0800

Clojure talk tomorrow

  • From: "Mike DeLaurentis" <delaurentis@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Clojure talk tomorrow
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:02:42 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :dkim-signature:domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id :date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:reply-to:sender :precedence:x-google-loop:mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help :list-unsubscribe:x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=MAbjv9vRX0MUJqnouoOC1eEiluODPq7hX9BwSRtt+hk=; b=0E1jK6i7Np1Bz74yBBz/0piTgRZb+KO9ZDbfMlrZxDuXEsmW+L5xghDxhvCkPgJgS5 QY9pdcH3qiwsTyO0zOZ9v4GY4UUdgcqqvLZAnZjfvVSjanBcu6SGycCtAXNZxNEemGg0 8L2gOCVDliyn2EANmKw2qJO906Dl409Jzv+iA=
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=Acr3PhTQUVFLjBDeBluhTgXVraAyApphcvA17hJG4yA=; b=DHF1G86EXo6mxUwWnwSZYdmn8imYvRiors8pqbfjuVsd/806W2xX0t1BmRywp8NXe1 V+D5Rv0IMSbC/6gTYHbFvZcHijaeoBm4/Nqjs7iGeXdn4v2DThDcFf+n+9wv5uKi0GYR hlHwl5PYlZjsrf8lDIfXhApK9RD4ehTh6Cd2k=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

For the Clojure talk tomorrow, I plan on going through a few slides
that talk about the language at a high level, but then spending most
of the time actually going through some example code. We'll use the
sample program to drive a more in-depth discussion about a few of the
language's features, such as support for concurrency. I'm hoping this
approach will help make the talk more engaging, and help people see
how the language can be used to solve real-world problems.

You might enjoy following along on a laptop and executing the examples
against a REPL. So, feel free to bring a laptop, and I'll send out
some of the code we'll be going through before the meeting.

If you're going to bring a laptop and follow along, you'll definitely
need either the clojure jar or source code. Both are available from
clojure.org (see the "Download" and "SVN" links at the top right
corner of the page). If you're a fan of Emacs, you could install
clojure-mode from http://github.com/jochu. Or, you can just access the
REPL directly via the command-line. Either way, if you want to follow
along, I ask that you try to get Clojure running before the meeting,
so we don't spend too much time trying to set environments up. If you
have trouble setting stuff up, shoot me an email...

If you don't want to bring a laptop or take the time to set up
Clojure, that's fine too. I hope the talk will be interesting either
way...

Thanks,

Mike