Andrew Gwozdziewycz on 12 Nov 2008 06:23:57 -0800

Re: Arc misunderstood

  • From: "Andrew Gwozdziewycz" <apgwoz@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Arc misunderstood
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:23:44 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :dkim-signature:domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id :date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :references:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop:mailing-list :list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe:x-beenthere-env :x-beenthere; bh=kSS19Ngcn94S6Ux7zqi0tPt030g+TA68K16EREieb+4=; b=IRXhmuoS9xsiWTvadAPWgdgSzNBr9Bjk9JN+nRY5po4TOVSja2/SvWWO73+bShbxqW 1dCC3opi+MSG9RHmVad6uZ0ekmsrXmZvxuWb3AQaYGkm65GcF1awbYq0JqxhzrqWPWpw SGjgl1W04w3NrAEuoiJUlU79s75DwLYPx4Jp0=
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=cUEA32U60pHjxxRS5ILJht8KsMdbf65LPx06atwaSno=; b=FU4DcSbEEay0r7FLaInPf2yI4Ic6TTvP3C2rFMQ9svWWDo0umXByP5DF6aYnLKRC+J lcNiisfEhPBnm+AJw/ajQMPCk4MjpjfgZXphsPSClVUH+B9+le+sacOjcwqhODyT+zCJ k30juTQKq2w19mV8jQl6aF1Ir8wgCpxZzcTFU=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

PG really wants to use arc for the rest of his life, and as such doesn't want to make any design decisions he's going to regret. It's the language he wants his kids to use when they're in college, a language like C, which is not forgotten about when Rubython is the next fad in 20-30 years.

I think the only way this can conceivably be done is to write real things with it, let other people write real things with it, and study the results of these experiments and iterate. This takes real time, time that obviously the initial adopters of arc weren't expecting to be subjected too, and will likely move on. Those with real interest in the language will be patient, write code, submit patches and give actual feedback about actually using the language to Paul, and when Paul gets a chance he'll consider the feedback, integrate patches, etc. He seems like a decent enough person.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Aaron Feng <aaron.feng@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems like pg cares more about "seeding" the community with arc at
the moment.  Maybe the next version is coming 50 years from now!

--
Andrew Gwozdziewycz
apgwoz@gmail.com