Kyle R. Burton on 5 Feb 2010 11:08:11 -0800

Proposal for a talk

Paul (Santa Clara) and I implemented a simple Genetic Algorithm
framework primarily to learn more about GA/GP.  Paul had never done
anything with it before and I had played around with it in the past.

What we did was based on what I'd done before, we ported the code from
JScheme to Clojure.  The problem isn't really a great example for
applying GA to, but it is easy to understand and see how to GA works -
I think it's a good pedagogical example.

What I was wondering is if there was interest in me giving an 'Intro
to GA' talk using our example as a guide.

The outline might be something like:

 - What is GA in 60s
 - Where did it come from?
 - What have some people done with it? / what's so great about it
 - Ok then, how do you do it?
 - Walk through the example
 - Share some of my observations about GA
    - aspects to watch out for when implementing
    - when not to use it
    - further ideas?

What does the group think?  I think I could have something ready in
3-4wks if there is interest.

Kyle

The sample code is here:  http://github.com/psantacl/ga-sandbox

kyle.burton@gmail.com                            http://asymmetrical-view.com/